CeltTim's BlogSpot

The rantings and life stuff of an ordinary guy with an extraordinary vocabulary.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

But I Wanted to be Bionic!

My surgery was today. When the staff was prepping me, they asked when my last dose of pain medication was. "Friday," I responded. The nurse and anesthesiologist looked at me in bewilderment. "But what are you doing about the pain," they asked. "Ignoring it," I responded. "Isn't that what you're supposed to do?"

I met my surgeon at his Crystal Clinic office yesterday. Dr. Kase impressed both me and my brother. He's young, personable and has a background in sports medicine. I saw him just before being wheeled into the operating room and he seemed very reassuring. He called me earlier this evening to check on my progress. Nice man.

Just before they put me under anesthesia, I casually asked if they had any extra bionics laying around. Apparently not.

So, I have a plate in the large bone in my right wrist and a pin in the small bone. The plate is permanent, the pin comes out in a few weeks. I left the hospital with another prescription for Percocet that I won't take. All painkillers have side effects. I'll pass. If this experience has taught me anything, it's that I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.

Here's what else I know:
1. This injury will not stop me from being as upbeat and positive as I can be.
2. This injury won't stop me from continuing the fitness journey I started back in April.
3. Other than today, I won't miss any work because of this injury.

I am scheduled to leave for Ireland on Friday. I'm still up for it. Hell, my black eyes and flat nose will help me fit right in on the streets of Dublin!

Speaking of black eyes, here is what they look like now:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home