CeltTim's BlogSpot

The rantings and life stuff of an ordinary guy with an extraordinary vocabulary.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Set Sail Again on the Great Big Sea


Last night Missie and I went to see our favorite Canadian, Celtic band from Newfoundland: Great Big Sea. I've blogged previously about my love for their upbeat arrangements of new material and traditional songs from Newfoundland. They are, quite simply, one of the best bands on the planet. Who else could pull off an acapella song about the hazards of being chemical mine worker followed by a hard-rocking ballad followed by a sea shanty, followed by a love song?

When I first heard last spring that GBS was going to be featured at the Kent Stage, I was amazed. It seemed like a small venue for them. However, as soon as I learned that tickets were going to be available through the GBS fan club, of which I am a member, I started watching the internet. When Ticket Sales Day arrived, scheduled to start at 11:00 a.m., I was on the webpage, hitting "refresh" at 10:55.

I got center section,row B, seats 1 & 2 on the aisle. I'm not sure who the people in the front row had to blow to get their seats, but I'll get my lips in shape for the next time.

Our seats, considering how little we actually sat in them, were fantastic. The couple in front of us drove up from Columbus, having seen GBS there, in Cincinnati and in Newfoundland. Okay, as fans go, they beat us. But, they were nice and friendly, so it was hard to begrudge them their spots.

The audience seemed largely older, with a sprinkling of younger faces. There were a couple of college-aged cuties in front of us as well. They were so effusive and surrendered so completely to the experience that it was hard to hate them, too. Damn.

The band, was, as always awesome. They played two sets with no opening act. The first set had a few of their standards, but consisted largely of songs from their new album, Safe Upon the Shore. I downloaded several of the songs from this album, but I had been waiting to buy it at the show, figuring more of the money would go directly to the band and less to a distributor. After a brief intermission, the band came back with a set composed largely of hits from previous albums and some playful sing-along Alan instigated of songs from other bands and genres.

Alan seemed genuinely surprised and amused that he could shout out "O-H" and the crowd roared back "I-O!" Alan, with his full beard and patterned shirt, resembled a lumberjack.

Sean, always less emotive, pours his heart into his voice and music. Sean put out a solo album earlier this year and it is a keeper in my collection.

Bob Hallett rounds out the group with his expert musicianship -- I lost count of how many instruments he plays -- and warm vocals. Chris, their drummer this tour, stepped out from his drumkit from time to time (as seen in the photo at the top) and Murray, their bass player, had one of the deepest, sexiest voices I've ever heard.

I picked up the new CD on the way out, intoxicated by the band's music and stage presence. Missie and I agreed we need to make the trip to see the boys in their native environ, Newfoundland. Not, however, in winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home